WHAT DOES AN ACADEMIC COUNSELOR DO?
An academic counselor does the following:
- Provides advice and assistance to students regarding academic matters.
- Help students develop a course schedule that will allow them to meet degree requirements
- Connect students with disability services so they can get the accommodations they need.
- Inform students of the requirements for graduation and the prerequisites for various programs.
- Assist students who are preparing to apply to four-year institutions.
The Process of Academic Counseling
When a student approaches an academic counselor for assistance, the counselor can pull up the student's records and use them as a reference during counseling sessions. The student is asked about the needs that brought him or her to the counselor's office and the counselor will work with the student on a strategy. For a student who is having trouble in school, for example, this might include tutoring, taking advantage of the resource lab, or encouraging a student to meet with instructors during office hours. The counselor is an advocate who is interested in the student’s development an overall academic success.